Keep Community. Stay Informed. Be Well
Welcome Cyclones! This page offers resources and strategies for students to keep community, stay informed, and be well while practicing social distancing during online classes at Iowa State University.
We encourage you to utilize campus resources and engage in the activities and strategies below during the COVID-19 outbreak. This page will have regular & new updates so check back frequently!
Follow us on social media for daily tips, strategies, and information to help you keep community, stay informed, and be well!
Join the Keep Community, Stay Informed, Be Well Canvas Course
Follow this public link that anyone can access to actionable strategies and resources you can do to Keep Community, Stay Informed, and Be Well. Bookmark this page and return often for strategies you can do each week.
Strategies & Resources to Keep Community. Stay Informed. Be Well
The following includes various resources, strategies, and tips for keeping community, staying informed, and being well during remote work, social distancing, and online instruction at Iowa State University.
Complete this action plan with your group (student organization, sorority, fraternity, residence hall house, peer mentor group, etc.) to prioritize your well-being during online classes at Iowa State University. Filling out this plan will create buy in and hold the group accountable for doing proactive things to keep everyone well during this time of change and transition.
A helpful handout that has information and strategies for students to do during the period of online classes at Iowa State University.
ISU WellBeing is the hub for ISU employee well-being programs, services, resources, and information. Our mission is to create conditions in which well-being and healthy lifestyles can thrive. In supporting Student Wellness and the campus campaign to Keep Community. Stay Informed. Be Well., we are adding new strategies and resources weekly specifically for employees. Be sure to check out the website and the Adventure2 program.
Adventure2 is ISU’s free online whole person well-being program for employees at Iowa State University. Weekly challenges, resources, and fun programming are offered throughout the year. In response to COVID-19, we have added even more on social distancing, virtual walks, virtual lunches, etc. Find additional strategies to add to your Employee Action Plan. Haven’t registered? Check out the website for details.
Complete this action plan with your group (staff team, office, department, etc.) to prioritize your wellbeing during social distancing, remote work, and the period of online classes at Iowa State University. Faculty can also use this plan for their classes. Filling out this plan will create buy in and hold the group accountable for doing proactive things to keep everyone well during this time of change and transition.
A helpful handout that has information and strategies for employees to do during remote work and the period of online classes at Iowa State University.
Connect Virtually With Others
Iowa State University has various options for students to connect virtually.
- Visit Information Technology Services (ITS) page on different platforms you can use to virtually connect
- Google Hangout
- Microsoft Teams
Connect with your Student Organizations virtually. Check out this guide below from Student Activities with helpful information/resources.
Connect with friends and host a virtual Netflix Party
Food is an important connection for many people. Host a virtual breakfast, lunch, or dinner with friends and/or family. Pick a different theme each week and enjoy!
Watch some of these animal webcams and chat about it with a friend!
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Explore Live Cams
Virtual Tours and Field Trips
Find a friend and go on a virtual tour of a place around the world!
- The Louvre
- National Gallery of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Van Gogh Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- British Museum
- Ellis Island
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Yellowstone National Park and 5 other National Parks
- Great Wall of China
- Mars on the Curiosity Rover
The COVID-19 outbreak is impacting all of us and some of our peers and community members need our support during this time. Connect with friends and think about some strategies to help others during this global crisis.
- Write thank you notes to first responders, medical providers, and others.
- Donate to or share the “Together we are #CycloneStrong” fundraising campaign to help Cyclones in need during COVID-19. Money goes toward emergency aid, food assistance, and more.
- Donate to local Ames area organizations in need
- Donate items to food pantries, items for emergency shelters, etc.
Virtual Escape Rooms
Do this virtual Harry Potter themed escape room with friends!
- Check out this article for other escape room options
Broadway Musicals and Plays
Watch over 15 Broadway shows or plays with others! Talk about your favorite scene or song.
Host a Virtual Trivia Night
Use resources like Kahoot to create different rounds of trivia to host with your peers! Set up a video chat hangout and have fun!
Online Gaming Party
Gaming can be a great way to connect with friends. Select a game, time, date, and have fun! Select a designated time limit for the game. Get up and move around to take some breaks during the party.
Create an Instagram Story Game
Use these instructions on how to create an Instragram story game with others. Select a topic and have fun! Share with your friends!
Below are resources on campus and in the community to help you stay informed and to help get you connected to support.
If you are concerned about your personal safety or the safety of others, if you are concerned about harming yourself or someone else, or if you believe you are losing touch with reality – utilize these resources for help.
There are various resources on campus and in the community for food, housing, and other basic needs. Click the buttons below for resource documents and connection to 211 in your local area. 211 will help you find resources for basic needs in your local community. All resources in the documents below are clickable and will take you to the resource website for up to date information.
United Way of Story County has local resources available and connections to other local organizations for the following
- Financial Help
- Educational Resources
- Child Care
- Story County Schools – Grab and Go Meals
Basic Needs and Other Services Guide for Ames Area
Iowa State University – COVID-19 Updates
Check the Iowa State University web page daily for updates. Click on the specific FAQ pages for more information
- Iowa State University COVID-19 Updates
- Parents and families
- Academic Affairs
- Graduate College
- University-sponsored travel
ISU WellBeing (Employees)
Visit ISU WellBeing website for up to date information for Faculty/Staff wellbeing.
Read this article for employees to maintain wellbeing during COVID-19
Read these articles from Gallup about supporting staff
- COVID-19 Has My Teams Working Remotely: A Guide for Leaders
- How to Manage Remote Employees
- How to Manage the Loneliness and Isolation of Remote Workers
- How to Build Trust with Remote Employees
- Remote Worker Isolation: Perception vs. Reality
- How to Keep Remote Worker Wellbeing High
Read this article from Iowa Healthiest State Initiative on staying well while working from home.
Academic Support Options
While classes are online, there are a variety of academic support resources available to you virtually or by phone. Connect with these resources to support your academic success this semester!
- Academic Success Center (ASC)
- Check out this video for information about ASC services during COVID-19
- Writing and Media Center
- Parks Library
Student Health and Wellness
Health and wellbeing is inextricably linked to student success. Utilize these resources to support your health and wellbeing!
Stay up to date on information pertaining to Fall 2020 course registration, enrollment, graduation, and more!
The following includes resources for accessibility for students and employees.
- ITS Technology
- CELT – Creating Accessible Course Content
- Iowa State Extension eAccessibility
- Student Accessibility Services
- Human Resources – Workplace Accommodations
- Free Internet Access outside Jack Trice Stadium
Dean of Students
The Dean of Students office helps Cyclones succeed by supporting personal development and academic success.
- List of Dean of Students Offices – click here to access all offices’ websites.
- Dean of Students Central Office
Google COVID-19 Resources
Google has created a website with COVID-19 health information, safety & prevention tips, resources to help for remote work, etc.
Global outbreaks, transition, and change are stressful, particularly when they impact your daily life. Being well is critical for students and employees during this time. Resources are available for you.
Virtual Music Events/Concerts
This page is regularly updated with virtual music events and concerts by your favorite artists. Bust out some dance moves to build in some movement while you rock out!
Regular, Joyful Movement
Follow Recreation Services on social media. They will be doing fun, virtual recreation and fitness activities for students to do while classes are online!
Other community resources and some apps are doing free online fitness classes as well. Incorporate movement you enjoy into your daily life.
In addition to ISU Student Health and Wellness resources listed above, here are some additional resources around supporting student and employee mental health during COVID-19.
- NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) has a resources guide for COVID-19. They also have a free virtual 8-week motivational speaker series.
- Active Minds has a student portal with resources, free webinars, online chats, and more
- Subscribe to Brene Brown – Unlocking Us podcast where she will talk about universal experiences of being human.
- You can download hundreds of thousands of free books from Public Libraries. Take some time to read for fun!
- Take this FREE online wellbeing class from Yale. Great way to learn engage in content directly focused on you and your health! It is their most popular class, and focuses on happiness, mental health and more!
Engage in Mindfulness, Guided Imagery Exercises
Engage in this deep breathing exercise on your own or with your group (Class, student organization, staff team, etc.). Make this a regular part of your meetings or do this at the top of each hour as a study break to recharge and refocus.
- Deep breathing exercise – Inhale as the circle expands and exhale as the circle shrinks.
Visit Student Counseling Services Mind Body Spa for recordings of 15-20 minute guided imagery and mindfulness exercises.
- Student Counseling Services – Mind Body Spa (online resources)
Try out these other resources for mindfulness during COVID-19
- Free Mindfulness Exercises (Therapy Assistance Online TAO)
- Mindfully Dealing with COVID 19
- Coronavirus Sanity Guide
- How to Find Peace Amidst COVID-19
Getting quality sleep of 7-9 hours per day is critical for your overall health. Good sleep will help you think more clearly and have more energy, among many other health benefits. Learn about sleep hygiene practices to help enhance your sleep.
Following Intuitive Eating principles is important for building a positive relationship with food. Use the document below for more information on the 10 principles.
Watch these 1-2 minute videos created by ISU students on quick recipes and preparing certain foods.
The Spend Smart, Eat Smart website and app from ISU Extension and Outreach has great resources for students and employees around meal planning, budgeting, preparing recipes, and more!
Discover a New Hobby
Watch YouTube clips to learn a new hobby that has been on your mind for a while. Engage your creative side!
- Take one of these 450 free online classes to learn something new
Complete the Census
Learn more about the census
Art, Coloring Pages and Lunch Doodles
Connect with the ISU Workspace for some “Art 2 Go”. Great Do It Yourself (DIY) projects you can do at home!
Choose from one of 100 coloring pages. Get out your markers or color pencils and spend some time coloring! Its a great study break!
Participate in a daily Lunch Doodle with Mo Willems. Do this with your kids or with your fellow peers and co-workers!