Looking to become a Cyde Kick?
Junior and senior undergraduate students can be trained to become Cyde Kicks through enrollment in KIN 494 A&B: Practicum in Motivational Interviewing offered each semester on Tuesdays from 2:10 – 3:00 PM!
- Learn a collaborative, solution-focused, result-oriented health coaching technique
- Work with other students to facilitate the enhancement of health, life experience, self-directed learning, and personal growth
- Fulfill the practicum requirement needed to complete the new health coaching certificate
For more information contact Justin Lusk at email@example.com or visit studentwellness.iastate.edu/health-coaching
As a peer health coach you will help participants:
- Identify overall goals for behavior change
- Create and achieve small goals geared toward reaching the overall goal
- Empower the participant to stay motivated and proactive
- Encouraging and improving self-efficacy
Awesome leadership experience and get a chance to work with Student Wellness on campus! Below are the different levels of involvement and leadership experience you can gain from the Cyde Kick experience.
Level 1: Train to become a Cyde Kick (one semester)
- Enroll in KIN 494 A&B to train to become a Cyde Kick. The course is split into Parts A & B, each 8-weeks long.
- Part A is the training portion of the curriculum, using online content and in class practical activities to learn how to use motivational interviewing effectively
- Part B is the practicum portion of the course. As part of this practicum, you will meet one-on-one with undergraduate freshman and sophomore students to work toward behavior changes utilizing motivational interviewing
Level 2: Become a Cyde Kick (1-2 semesters)
- Work as a Cyde Kick and help other students grow in their health-related behavior change goals, such as increasing physical activity, eating healthy, managing time, and reducing stress
- Become a Peer Mentor and support students currently training to become a Cyde Kick
- Receive Student Wellness apparel, including a polo (etc whatever we decide on)
Level 3: Become a Cyde Kick Teaching Assistant (1 semester)
- Apply to be a Cyde Kick Teaching Assistant for KIN 494 A&B
- Work with KIN 494 instructors to refine course activities
- Lead in-class activities and facilitate class discussion
If you are interested in becoming a Cyde Kick, please fill out this form below. Someone will be in contact with you soon with more information.