Green Dot Student Bystander Training
The Green Dot Bystander Student Training is designed for student leaders who want to enhance their influence to address power-based personal violence in the community and learn the skills necessary to be an active bystander in preventing sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking. This training includes individual reflection, small group interaction, and high energy activities. It is designed with the bystander lens as the central frame of reference and guided by the question “What does the participant need to know in order to increase the likelihood of effective proactive and reactive bystander interventions in response to power-based personal violence?” The training is comprised of 4 modules and is limited to 40 students.
By attending this training, students will:
- Understand the basic elements of cultural change and social movements
- Recognize the behaviors that constitute dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking, as well as early warning signs of these types of violence and how to help a friend who has been impacted by violence
- Identify the barriers that may prevent you from being an active bystander
- Develop and use realistic intervention options for your unique set of barriers
- Increase confidence and willingness to intervene in harmful situations
- Engage your peers to take proactive steps in preventing sexual and relationship violence at Iowa State University
Participants will receive (with completion):
- A Green Dot Training Certificate
- Iowa State Co-Curricular Transcript (CCT) record
- Green Dot apparel to wear around campus!
- Free lunch or dinner and snacks
- Opportunities for future Green Dot involvement and Student Wellness Volunteering
Green Dot Student Bystander Training Dates:
Saturday, October 5 (9am to 2pm) – ATRB 1302 (CANCELLED) Tues., November 5 (4pm – 7pm) + Wed., November 6 (4pm – 6pm) – 198Parks (CANCELLED)
Tues., March 10 (4pm – 7pm) + Wed., March 11 (4pm – 6pm) – TBD
April 11 (9am to 2pm) – TBD
*Participants need to attend BOTH split dates to receive certificate of completion. Graduate Students are welcome to this bystander training and/or welcome to attend the Faculty/Staff/Admininistrator Training. See Learn@ISU – GDOT for more information.
A reminder email will be sent out 1-2 days prior to the training to notify participants of logistical needs (i.e. training location, dietary needs, etc.)
To request an Green Dot Overview or Faculty/Staff/Administrator Overview Training, please visit the Student Wellness Program Request Form.
Questions? Contact Green Dot at email@example.com or 515-294-1099